7/11/2008

knots landing

Finally, I'm here in good old NYC. Checked into the hotel and pulled myself together after an 9.5 hr flight.

But how did it start?



Got to Ferihegy 2B around 8.15am Budapest time, checked in, waited for some 3 hrs to board.



Once on board the plane, it turned out that "due to the crowd in Austrian and German airspace" our flight did not get the clearence to take off for half an hour. Luckily, our German speaking friends decided that the crowd sat down enough for us to finally take off. I had no idea that it would take about 20 minutes to get over Vienna from Budapest. And that wasn't even a Concord I flew onboard. Talk about small countries... :)

Anyway, my seat was next to a guy from Austin, TX and it took me about 4-5 hours to get to know this information. Neither of us was too talkative. :) But when we both realized that Texas is one thing we have in common I got to learn some interesting things. He is a cinematographer so he is shooting movies and is responsible for the visuals, if I understood it correctly. Anyway, we shared some silent laughs on people strolling through the aisle for hundreds of times appreantly because they could not take sitting still for over 3 hrs. I tried to watch the in-flight movie and these people kept pacing aroung at least one of them constantly blocking the picture. Good thing I've seen the movie already.

So, after a 9 hr long flight we landed on JFK and even made up for half our initial delay. Then came the check at the border which went even more smoothly than I expected. Once having finished with all these things I boarded the AirTrain running from JFK terminals to Jamaica in Queens.



This was how a part of the city looked like from the AirTrain.



Once having got off from the AirTrain at Jamaica Station in Queens I went to find the hotel where I had a room booked. It was about a ten minute walk from the station, but at first I walked in the wrong direction on Jamaica Ave. Luckily, I soon realized that this would not help as worse and worse buildings started to pop up on the sides of the street. So I turned around and tried to avoid looking anyone in the eye. People did not seem too trustworthy and if I appeared as if I had no idea where I'm going I might have not been as safe as I wanted to be. I guess my size also helped a bit. I've seen some guys measuring me and then they seemed to decide it's not worth messing with me. :)

So, I got to my hotel. Pretty decent for its price.



I even have flat-screen TV. Cool!!! :D



But I don't think I would watch it too long. There's a whole city just outside my window.



OK, it's not exactly the Empire State building or Brooklyn Bridge. But all I need to see those is my newly purchased MetroCard.

No comments: