9/28/2008

Hung(a)ry

I just realized that I haven’t spoken Hungarian with anyone (except over the phone) since I left NY in July. Sure, some people wanted to learn how to say this and that in Hungarian or at least try to figure out if it’s similar to any language they know. Usually they couldn’t find anything similar. On exception was when I met a bunch of Kazakhs and we found one common word: “szakáll” (i.e. beard). That's a real conversation starter. What can you possibly say about beards? How is someone supposed to talk about them for more than 2 minutes? :) And also, people wanted to learn swearing in Hungarian. At first they asked how I would say certain four letter words and when I told them it depends on the situation and I could think of at least 5 different words for it just out of the top of my head, they agreed that it is a rich language indeed.

Anyway, a couple of days after Ike hit us a friend of mine currently studying in Belgium sent me a link. I read the article, it was about a guy also in Houston who had some trouble with Ike. I sent him an e-mail asking which part of the city he lived in and we exchanged contacts. A week later he sent me a message that they are having a BBQ at his place and I should join, it will be only Hungarian ex-pats. So I went there this Friday and we had an awesome time. There were three guys, two with their wives, who are both gorgeous btw, and we had some old fashioned “shashlik” together.

It was so much fun speaking Hungarian again with actual people and not through the phone. They were really funny people, jokes kept flying around all night. Luckily, I was the only lawyer there so we didn’t talk much about work. Now I know that if I fly back home through Paris, I have to be ready to break my personal record on 400m flat run, because the layover between the Houston-Paris and the Paris-Budapest flight is quite short.


No comments: